Wednesday 7 September 2011

Is this not Work ...

I hate beggars! Especially those that bug the shit out of you. They run behind you, say things, and do all sorts of things so as to compel you into giving em something. So there came a time in my life when I stopped giving to beggars. Shortly after I found out about the gangs and nexus etc. “Traffic Light” was not an eye-opener but confirmed on what I already knew or had heard. So these days we are all aware of these things and the number of people who have stopped giving to beggars is ever increasing. When bugged by a beggar I now shoot back “Go get work!”. A small kid begging at Ghaziabad station once shot back

“Ye kaam nahi hai kya!” (Is this not Work)

I’m not one of those quick witted folks and so spontaneity is not my thing. I had nothing to say to him. Was just shocked and kept quiet while he gleefully trotted away to beg from someone else.

Few days back I was browsing through the 22 Raedi market. I was looking for cups which I needed to purchase in bulk quantity. Received a couple of phone calls and was soon hard pressed for time. Just when I was about to exit the market I decided to make a dash for a cone of ice cream. In the hurry I shooed away an approaching beggar. Unlike others he said nothing and I saw him approach someone else over the edge of my shoulder.

A while later stepping out from the ice cream parlour I saw him again. He was no beggar. He looked at me through the corner of his eyes and gave me a gleeful smile. Soon the smile disappeared but the glee remained, it was static. In his right hand he held packets of candy coated Saunf (Aniseed) and in other a bag with more packets and money. He was Autistic. His hands and feet could not stretch to the fullest and he was limited in mobility. Dragged his feet is what he did while he went from customer to customer in this busy market place where blessed individuals such as myself found it hard to be of solid footing.

To not give to beggars is one thing, and to not give to challenged person trying to make a decent living is another. I walked up to him and browsed through all that he had to offer. Asked him the price for one packet to which he gleefully replied “Rs.15“. I didn’t have a fiver on me and gave him a 20. He was not capable of handling money and would have taken for ever to return to me a fiver. But I didn’t need the money, nor did I want the packet of candies I had just bought. Told him to keep the change and started walking away…

“Sirrr………… ………………I’m not a beggar!”

He said that to me, in voice shaky yet strong. And he did so in English! Yes, he made me wait for the fiver; didn’t let me leave without it.

God is strange.
Kisi ko sab kuch dekar kuch nahi deta, and kisi ko kuch na dekar sab kuch dae deta hai!

Live, Enjoy Life & Respect All !!! ~ Beast

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! I am henry thomas I like your post thanks for sharing nice information

Attalia Trophy

Attalia Trophy
Open University MK

Attalia Trophy ~ OUSA

Ref: IP/MJ 21 March 1984

Kuldip Attalia,
Sherwood House,
Sherwood Drive,
Bletchley,
Milton Keynes.


Dear Kuldip,

On behalf of the Open University Students’ Association, I would like to thank you and your family for the very generous gift of the “Attalia Trophy”.
We are delighted that you have presented us with this and it will used to encourage our students to raise funds to help their less advantaged, disabled and housebound fellow students.

Each year the “Attalia Trophy” will be presented to “The Branch coming up with the best idea for fundraising”.

We will thus be able to encourage the smaller branches to compete to raise funds.

My thanks once again to you and your family for this most generous and thoughtful donation.

Yours sincerely,


Iris Price
VP Welfare
OUSA ~ The Open University Students Association
OUSA Office Sherwood House, Sherwood Drive, Bletchley, Milton Keynes MK3 6RN
Phone: 0908 71131

Attalia Residence in Mombasa, Kenya

Attalia Residence in Nairobi, Kenya