Thursday 9 September 2010

Catapult Experiences ...

All those who have used this apparatus at least once in their lifetime … Must leave your experience of where and when used.

I’ll tell you of one of mine.

In Mombasa 1969ish, At the age of 9-10yrs old, I was a loved favourite of a very kind neighbour who I treated like an older brother (Still Do) known as “Bato Din”.

I had been begging and crying for one, so Bato very kindly let me have his the finest in the neighbourhood. So me armed, we all went bird hunting, I did not even know how to use well enough, so I loaded it with a pebble and aimed to fire, it misfired hit the left arm of the catapult and diverted to a Beetle Car and smashed the windscreen. Shocked I looked up and realised that all my gang of hunters had fled, so I ran after in pursuit. That was the end of that.

However, years after in London in 90’s, I went with a friend to meet an old friend and we sat chatting and soon the conversation led to Mombasa and he told me where he had lived.

Mmmm ... I asked him if he ever owned a Sky Blue VW Beetle Car and if its windscreen had ever been smashed?

To his amazement (The Look on his Face) he said yes he had a VW Beetle and Yes! Its windscreen was smashed by some Rascals.

I then took a deep breath and confessed to him that I was that Rascal that had broken his windscreen!

He sat there shocked that I had confessed and then called his entire family in the room and asked me to repeat my confession again. I did...

We all laughed and a true gentleman he proved to be. He was pleased that I had the guts to confess and told me to write it off my conscious for ever. (The matter was closed)

What is your story … Go on share it with me/us.

No comments:

Attalia Trophy

Attalia Trophy
Open University MK

Attalia Trophy ~ OUSA

Ref: IP/MJ 21 March 1984

Kuldip Attalia,
Sherwood House,
Sherwood Drive,
Bletchley,
Milton Keynes.


Dear Kuldip,

On behalf of the Open University Students’ Association, I would like to thank you and your family for the very generous gift of the “Attalia Trophy”.
We are delighted that you have presented us with this and it will used to encourage our students to raise funds to help their less advantaged, disabled and housebound fellow students.

Each year the “Attalia Trophy” will be presented to “The Branch coming up with the best idea for fundraising”.

We will thus be able to encourage the smaller branches to compete to raise funds.

My thanks once again to you and your family for this most generous and thoughtful donation.

Yours sincerely,


Iris Price
VP Welfare
OUSA ~ The Open University Students Association
OUSA Office Sherwood House, Sherwood Drive, Bletchley, Milton Keynes MK3 6RN
Phone: 0908 71131

Attalia Residence in Mombasa, Kenya

Attalia Residence in Nairobi, Kenya